Though this school year has been full of unexpected challenges, we’ve been amazed at your resilience and creativity! We hope these content and functionality improvements will continue to support you as you engage your students through in-person, hybrid, or fully remote learning.
Read on to explore what’s new:
- Unpack the Origins of the Spoons and Banjo with Six Brand New Lessons
- Add Up to 10 Images and Audio Files to Any Multimedia Screen
- Assign Resources Directly from Resource Manager
- Discover New Avatar Updates Requested by You
- Make Sure You are Ready for Final Adobe Flash Changes
1. Unpack the Origins of the Spoons and Banjo with Six Brand New Lessons
This past August, QuaverEd announced its partnership with the National Museum of African American Music.
We’re excited to add six new lessons, created for the museum’s “From Nothing to Something” curriculum, to the QuaverMusic Curriculum.
These lessons, found in the 4th and 5th grade curriculum, focus on the banjo, spoons, and the origins and traditions of these instruments.
You can find these lessons under “Special Projects” in the 4th and 5th grade curriculum or by searching “banjo” and “spoons” in Resource Manager.
2. Add Up to 10 Images and Audio Files to Any Multimedia Screen
The Multimedia custom screen is a powerful tool used by many teachers to create their own lesson activities. Today, it’s getting a big update! You can now add up to 10 images and audio files to a single custom screen. Visit Resource Creation on your Teacher Dashboard to start creating.
3. Assign Resources Directly from Resource Manager
Assignment delivery just got a whole lot easier. You can now assign resources directly from Resource Manager where Assignment customization happens. Click MENU and ASSIGN TO CLASS from an open Assignment template to get started.
4. Discover New Avatar Updates Requested by You!
You asked, we listened! This update includes a number of highly-requested features to the Avatar editor including:
- Curly Hair (Found in the Hair options)
- Beard Options (Found in the Jaw options)
- Oboe (Found in the Instruments options)
- Ukulele (Found in the Instruments options)
- Holiday Options including Halloween, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Christmas (Found in both Instruments and Hair options)
We’ve reorganized your Avatar editor to make these new items easier to find.
And now, students can edit their Avatar from Quaver Street or by clicking their avatar on the Student Dashboard!
5. Make Sure You are Ready for Final Adobe Flash Changes
As you have most likely noticed, our Summer 2020 update eliminated the Flash version of the Quaver site experience. This month’s update includes a few additional changes as the next phase in our transition away from dependence on Adobe Flash, which powered our original QuaverMusic.com experience since 2010.
At this time, teachers may still encounter Flash in custom lessons and assignments they created before August 2020. These Flash resources will not be available after December 1, 2020, so please take steps to replace them now!
These screen types include Classic Creatives, Ear IQ screens, and any other Flash resource marked with the Flash warning icon in Resource Manager. If one of these resources appears in your custom lesson, the following warning screen will appear.
Do not fear! We’ve outlined everything you need to know to find and replace any custom Flash screens with Non-Flash content before December 1st.
Many of these updates were ideas from teachers like you. Be sure to let us know what you think!